Monday, February 18, 2008

Derby fun...

After being sick for the past couple days, I thought I'd try to see how a ride would go. I woke up early Sunday morning and headed to SMC to meet some folks to ride over to the Velodrome. There were 14 of us in total - the most I've seen leave from the shop. When we left the Velodrome there was a group of probably 50 or so, and we picked a bunch up along the way.

I felt great on the pre-ride to the Derby and I even felt good out to the "turn" I had the chance to talk to a few cool people along the way. I met up with a local fast guy in the M.A.S.S - John Eorio - and was picking his brain about training tips. Apparently he's riding from Quakertown, doing the Derby and riding home!! I thought my measly 3 hours or 53 miles was enough. Guess I'll have to start riding from home to get some more training hours.

At the turn was where it all fell apart for me, and others as well I'm sure. I tried to stay on with the group through for the first 2 climbs, after that I was done. I just cranked along as hard as I could to get back to the shop. I was pretty tired at the end - but I'm glad I got out just after being sick.


Mandatory ride details:

Ride Time: 2:59.30
Mileage: 52.77 miles
Totl Ascent: 2135 feetAvg
Speed: 17.6 mph
Avg HR: 156 bpm
Max HR: 191 bpm

-matt

No comments: